Here comes a two thumbs up recipe. I didn’t quite know what to expect for this dish, because I just found the recipe in a book I bought about a month ago. What is more, I didn’t have the right amount of ingredients as it said, so I had to change a lot. Lucky I have a good imagination. I guessed what I could add more of by looking at its colour.
When I had the first bite of the chicken wrapped with iceberg lettuce, it was a full of surprise. It was really delicious. Of course, the fact that we were so hungry helped us appreciate the food more, so anything could have been a two thumbs up food to us, yet there was something special about it.
It tasted slightly salty yet the occasional walnuts added a savory taste and crunchy texture. I added too much chicken breast compared to the other ingredients, so the rare shrimp was a nice surprise too. (By now you know how much I love shrimps, prawns, and that kind of food, right?) Michael complained a bit about the iceberg lettuce, because it was too hard to fold compared to other kinds of lettuce, but he admitted that it gave a nice crispy and fresh texture.
Ingredients for 3 people
(Prep time – 20 minutes, Cooking time – 10 minutes)
- Chicken breast – 800g
- Shelled shrimps – 100g
- 2 green chilies (supposedly not spicy)
- 2 red chilies
- 1/2 a medium size onion
- Iceberg lettuce
- Shelled walnuts – 2 tbsp
- Some olive oil
Sauce (mix these well in a bowl)
- Soy sauce – 3 tbsp
- Refined rice wine – 4 tbsp
- Oyster sauce – 1 tbsp
- Grated apple – 5 tbsp (one medium apple gives about 6 tbsp)
- Minced garlic – 1½ tbsp
- Ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Potato starch powder – 1 tbsp
- Cut the onion into small cubes.
- Take the seed out from the green and red chilies, thin slice them diagonally.
- Rinse the chicken and shrimps in cold water, cut the chicken into small to medium cubes.
- Separate the iceberg lettuce, rinse the leaves in cold water, and cut them into a size easy to use as a wrap.
- Put the chicken and shrimps in a bowl, add the sauce and marinade it for 15 minutes.
- Pre heat the wok, and add some oil.
- Add the marinade meat and stir it well until 90% of it cooks.
- Add the chilies, onion and walnuts stir them well.
- When it is cooked, serve a spoonful of the meat and vegetables on a lettuce leaf.
- Wrap it and dig in. (it is hard to fold if you put in too much meat.)
- Enjoy the surprise.
It is a really easy to prepare and to cook meal. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.