Korean Beef Stew
How to make Korean beef stew (Bulgogi Jungol)
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 350 g beef (12 ounces); sirloin or tenderloin, bulgogi cut (paper thin sliced)
- 4 1/2 cup Korean soup stock , though I altered the ingredients composition to 20g / 0.7 ounces dried kelp (kombu), 10g / 0.35 ounces dried anchovy for 6 cups of water. Also for more complex flavor, I added 50g / 1.8 ounces green onion (white and pale green part) and 100g / 3.5 ounces onion when making the stock.)
- 150 g tofu (5.3 ounces), cut into small to medium squares
- 150 g enoki mushrooms (5.3 ounces), stems removed and separated
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms (3.5 ounces), stems removed and thinly sliced
- 100 g Korean glass noodles (3.5 ounces), soaked in water for 20 mins and cut into mid length (20 cm to 25 cm / 8 inch to 10 inch)
- 90 g onion (3.2 ounces), thinly sliced
- 80 g napa cabbage (2.8 ounces), chopped into smaller pieces
- 30 g green onion (1 ounce), shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 red chili (optional), thinly sliced
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp rice wine (mirin)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 155 g red apple (5.5 ounces), about 1 medium apple - royal gala, pink lady or fuji apples are suitable to use
- 80 g onion (2.8 ounces), about 1/2 large onion
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Blend the marinade ingredients in a mixer or food processor until it turns into liquid. Make sure it’s not pulpy.
Marinate the beef in 1 cup of marinade for at least 4 hours (or overnight). Set aside the remaining marinade (just under 1 cup) for the next step.
Combine the soup stock with the remaining marinade (from step 2). Mix them well.
Place the vegetables and noodles around the edges of a shallow pot. And put the beef in the centre. Pour in the seasoned soup stock and boil it over medium high heat.
Eat as the ingredients get cooked (takes about 10 mins). Serve with hot steamed rice.
Calories: 466kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 1601mg | Potassium: 756mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Vitamin C: 23.1mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 4.3mg