Korean Style Tuna Cakes
How to make Korean style tuna cakes. They are easy to make and very delicious to eat, particularly when served with Korean sweet tangy soy sauce!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 185 g canned tuna (net weight of the tuna 130g / 4.6 ounces) FYI, the tuna was in spring water), drained
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 20 g green onion , finely chopped
- 45 g brown onion , finely chopped
- 1 red cayenne chilli (15 g / 0.5 ounces)
- 1 green cayenne chilli (10 g / 0.4 ounces)
- 1 tsp all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- Few sprinkles ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs) optional – Use this if you love crunchy texture. It also helps with holding the tuna cake firm.
- Some cooking oil (I used rice bran oil)
DIPPING SAUCE (MIX THESE IN A BOWL UNTIL THE SUGAR DISSOLVES)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp white sugar
Combine all the main ingredients (except for the panko if you’re using it, and the cooking oil) thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Divide the mixture into four sections to make 4 medium sized tuna cakes. (You can make smaller or bigger cakes per your preference. Just know that the larger the cake, the longer it takes to cook.) Make round shaped patties with each divided mixture.
(Optional) Coat each tuna cake with the panko.
Heat a non-stick frying pan (or well-seasoned cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat and add some cooking oil. (If you are using panko, add oil more generously.) Gently place the tuna cakes into the pan and cook both sides until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes each side. (Panko crumbed patties will take slightly longer to cook. For these, once both sides are golden brown, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook covered until the inside is cooked.)
Serve with the dipping sauce. (They taste best while still hot.)
* You can replace the chillies with bell peppers/capsicum.
* 1 Tbsp = 15 ml, 1 Cup = 250 ml
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 561mg | Potassium: 237mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 360IU | Vitamin C: 34.1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.6mg