How to Make Dolsot Bibimbap with or without a Korean stone bowl
Prepare and cook ingredients as below.
– In a bowl, combine the meat with the marinade. Cover the bowl and leave it in the fridge while you are working on other the ingredients. When ready, Add some cooking oil into a wok and cook the meat on medium high to high heat. It takes about 3 to 5 mins to thoroughly cook it.
– Separately sauté carrots, zucchini and mushrooms in a frying pan. Season them lightly with fine sea salt.
– Mix the bibimbap sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
– Pan fry the eggs per your preference. (Sunny side up is a popular choice.)
Preheat an oven for 10 minutes at 220 C / 428 F. Once heated, place your stone bowl into the oven. Leave it there for 10 minutes. 10 minutes later, take it out. Drop in some sesame oil (about 1 Tbsp per medium size bowl) and brush it around. Quickly assemble your bibimbap ingredients inside the hot stone bowl. First you will have to lay down the rice. Make sure you flatten it well. Then add the meat, assorted vegetables, and the egg on top of the rice. Transfer the hot stone bowl onto the gas stove and cook it for 5 minutes over low heat. You will hear the rice crackling noise. Remove from the heat.
Pour the bibimbap sauce into the hot stone bowl and mix all the ingredients well. Serve.
* 1 Tbsp = 15 ml, 1 Cup = 250 ml
** Handle with care while transferring the hot stone bowl.
*** Prep and cooking time does not account for the making of Korean vegetable side dishes (Korean cucumber side dish, fernbrake side dish and bellflower root side dish) as I made my bibimbap with leftover side dishes.