Sundubu Jjigae (Korean Spicy Soft Tofu Stew)
How to make the most delicious Sundubu Jjigae (Korean soft tofu stew) from scratch. It's loaded with delicious seafood and the soup is very refreshing!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 350 g Korean soft tofu (12 ounces)
- 110 g littleneck clams (3.9 ounces), cleaned
- 3 banana prawns (80g / 2.8 ounces), head, shells and guts removed
- 100 g enoki mushrooms (3.5 ounces), bottom 4-5 cm stem removed and rinsed briefly in cold running water
- 45 g oyster mushrooms or shimeji mushrooms (1.6 ounces), rinsed and separated by hand
- 2 shiitake mushrooms (20g / 0.7 ounces), cleaned, stem removed and thinly sliced
- 1 egg optional
- 1 stalk green onion (10g /0.4 ounces), diagonally thinly sliced
Put the cooking oil, chilli powder, garlic and soy sauce into a pot. Heat the pot on the stove on medium heat and stir the spices well for 1 min. Make sure not to burn the chilli powder.
Add the clams and shrimps and stir quickly to coat them with the chilli sauce.
Add the dried kelp and anchovy stock and boil it on medium to medium-high heat until it starts to boil rapidly (2 to 3 mins). Add the salt and stir.
Add the tofu, in big chunks, mushrooms, and egg and cook them for another 1 to 2 mins.
Top up with the green onion, black pepper and sesame oil. Serve hot with Korean steamed rice and side dishes (banchan).
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 613mg | Potassium: 754mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1365IU | Vitamin C: 1.6mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 3.7mg