Hi, My name is Sue and I am the author/cook /photographer behind My Korean Kitchen.
My Korean Kitchen is a food blog that talks all about my love and passion for Korean food and Korean fusion food. It includes step by step pictorial instructions, cultural discussions, and product and restaurant reviews. I also recently started sharing video recipes via my YouTube channel.
My husband suggested that I start some kind of food blog back in March 2006. He often said he had some difficulty finding out about Korean food before he married me. (Back then, there weren’t many Korean food blogs or websites.) So, originally I aimed to help foreigners living in Korea to give them some tips on living and cooking there. However over time I learnt that most of my blog readers are actually from outside of Korea, who want to learn Korean cooking and its culture. So my focus has naturally shifted to give more relevant information to those people and share their pain when it’s too difficult to find the source of Korean cooking ingredients.
Since I started this blog, my husband and I both have benefited from it. I am really enjoying cooking and taking pictures of it. It is so fun, it feels like I am an editor of a food magazine. 😉 We also eat a bigger variety of food all the time which I never bothered to cook before. So it is really great to have this blog, simply because we enjoy our life more and appreciate it.
I hope My Korean Kitchen becomes a place that brings interesting discussion and useful information to Korean food lovers.
Press Mentions of My Korean Kitchen:
- 15 Spinach Salad Recipes You’ll Actually Want to Make (June 6, 2015, Fitness Magazine)
- 6 tasty, lucky ways to celebrate Lunar New Year: Dumplings, noodles, lettuce wraps and more (February 19, 2015, Today)
- 20 Unique dumpling recipes to ring in Chinese New Year (February 19, 2015, sheknows)
- Holiday Punch Recipes That’ll Make You Fall Absolutely Drunk In Love (December 10, 2014, The Huffington Post)
- Acorn meal not so nuts (May 08, 2013, Good Food)
- Food bloggers: I ate my way around Australia – Lunar New Year’s Day special (February 07, 2013, ABC Radio)
- Lonely Planet Seoul: Food & Drink section p.355 (November 1, 2012, Lonely Planet Seoul)
- Must-Try Korean Dishes for Kimchi Lovers (
- Worldwide Feast: 55 Great Global Food Blogs (September 29, 2011, Saveur)
- How to cook bean sprouts and avoid E. coli poisoning (Tuesday 28 June 2011, The Independent)
- Dinner Tonight: Stir Fried Rice Cake with Gochujang Sauce (May 6, 2011, Serious Eats)
- Lonely Planet Korea: Food & Drink section p.71 (September 1, 2010, Lonely Planet)
- Dinner Tonight: Spicy, Sweet and Vinegary Noodles (Bibim Guksu) (April 2, 2010, Serious Eats)
- Chicago Picnic Menu: Death Cab for Cutie at Millennium Park (May 29, 2008, The Kitchn)
I am a Korean native who is currently living in Brisbane, Australia (since March 2007). I spent most of my childhood to young adult life in Korea until I met my Aussie husband. I had a great exposure to delicious Korean food all the time as I was growing up, because my mum is a great cook and also she ran a restaurant for almost two decades. Although I didn’t get to learn cooking from my mum much, I tried to observe her as much as I could in her home and busy restaurant kitchen.
I was off from blogging in the last 5 years pretty much since I immigrated to Australia and during that time I finished my masters degree in accounting, worked in the finance field and became a CPA. I’m currently on sabbatical from my accounting career to look after my young child. I haven’t received any formal training in cookery however I love eating delicious food and sharing my culinary adventure with my family and friends.
You can follow me via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube. Also you’re welcome to tag me or use the hashtag (#mykoreankitchen) and show off what you made with my recipe! I’ll be very glad to check it out.
Contact me :
I welcome your comments and feedback and would love to hear from you. I will strive to respond to your message.
To work with me on recipe development & photography, reviews & giveaways, brand/product endorsement, advertising, and sponsorship, please fill your details in this contact form.
Last updated: 2nd August 2015