Today, some people may say, “Finally!”. Yes, I finally made “Sundubu jjigae” last night. I think this is the top 3rd keyword search recipe people try to find from my blog. What is so special about this stew folks? I am really curious.
Ingredients for 2 people
- Uncurdled tofu 400g
- (Unshelled) little-neck clams 200g (Bajirak in Korean – you can learn a little bit more about it from the second paragraph of my other post)
- 1 pack of enoki mushrooms
- Oyster mushrooms 1 fistful
- 1 stalk of spring onion
- Dried kelp 2 sheets – 10x7cm size each (Though you don’t have to copy the exact size of mine)
- Water 1 and 1/3 cups
- Chili powder – 1tbsp
- Olive oil – 1tbsp
- Minced garlic – 1 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Soy sauce – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper 3 sprinkles
- Sesame oil – 1 dash
- Soak the clams in cold water for about 30 minutes. (Add some salt – about 1tsp)
- Soak the kelp in 1 and 1/3 cups of water for about 30 minutes.
- Diagonally thin slice the spring onion.
- Cut the bottom 4-5 cm of the mushrooms off (the roots) and wash the rest for use.
- Separate oyster mushrooms with hands.
- Drain the clams from no.1 (throw the water away)
- Drain the kelp from no.2 (keep the water, we will use it as a broth)
1. Put the chili powder, olive oil, and the garlic in a pot.
2. Heat the pot on the stove and stir it.
3. Add the clams and stir it.
4. Add the water and tofu. Boil it for about 1 minute. (until the water starts to boil)
5. Add all the mushrooms, salt, and soy sauce. Boil it for about 1 minute. (again until the water starts to boil properly)
6. Add the spring onion, pepper and sesame oil.
7. Serve the pot on the table. (You can adjust the taste with salt)
For your curiosity this is the tofu I used for this stew.
It is about 1000 won – US $ 1
How to open – cut the red dotted line (next to the bar code) with scissors. Can you see the line?
Also, I hope you use a bit bigger pot than mine because it can boil over. This happened to me last night “again”, I think that is why I don’t like making this stew much. (I don’t know how to measure the dish, though I want to give the best description as I can. Its bottom diameter is 11.5 cm and top diameter is about 15.5 cm) If you can’t get a bigger pot then reduce some vegetable ingredients or water.