When I was a child, I sometimes went hiking with my mom and we picked up some dropped acorns in the hills. I didn’t hike to the very top but on the way back the basket of my bicycle was full of acorns. At that time I didn’t know how they could be eaten by us, humans, because I always thought that they are for squirrels.
In my memory, I don’t think I liked the seasoned acorn jelly that much because of its bitter taste, but now I love it, it is like an adult appreciates good food more than a child. It has a slightly bitter taste from the acorn jelly and a slightly sweet and salty taste from the sauce, which I love, and this recipe is like that.
Hoping you can get the acorn jelly where you live, here is how the recipe goes.
Ingredients (enough to serve 6-8 people as a side dish) : 5 minutes to serve
- Acorn jelly (도토리묵) – 420 g
- 2-3 lettuce leaves
- 1 green chili (non spicy)
Sauce (mix these in a bowl)
- Soy sauce – 6 tbsp
- Dark brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Finely chopped spring onion – 2 tbsp
- Parched sesame seed – 1 tbsp
- Chili powder – 2 tsp
- Minced garlic – 2 tsp
- Slice the acorn jelly (1 cm -1.5 cm thickness).
- Take the seeds out from the chili and thin slice it.
- Thin slice the lettuce (thickness doesn’t really matter, but mine was close to 1 cm).
Method A) - Better presentation
- Put the sliced acorn jelly on the plate.
- Add the sliced chili on top.
- Decorate the plate with the lettuce.
- Spread the sauce on the top.
- Serve it on the table.
Method B) - My mom’s way (it may season the acorn jelly and lettuce better)
- Put the lettuce, chili and acorn jelly in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sauce and lightly mix it.
- Serve it on the plate.
By the way, a pack of acorn jelly is more expensive than tofu (I thought it would be cheap). It was 3,000 won (US $3.20) for 420 g in Korea. I also bought a pack of acorn powder to make acorn jelly from scratch and it was 6,6oo won (US $6. 30). It was requested by one of my readers. I know I really need to make it soon but apparently it requires continuous stirring for nearly an hour without any break, so I gave up for then.
Don’t worry! beloved, I will definitely do it.