Try these supremely tender and delicious oven baked Korean BBQ beef ribs! They are a crowd pleaser and great to serve on special dinner occasions!
With the festive season approaching, I’ve been getting requests for Korean foods that are suitable for hosting a party. In case you don’t know, I have a huge recipe collection for Korean party food, so you should definitely check that one out!
And to this Korean party food collection, I’d like to add today’s special recipe – Oven Baked Korean BBQ Beef Ribs.
Until a few weeks ago, I had never bought a rack of ribs to cook at home. I thought these were something you would only eat at a restaurant because they are difficult to cook with. But boy! I was wrong. Contrary to my belief, these ribs are so easy to cook.
Another thing to note is these oven baked Korean BBQ beef ribs are so tender. They are slow cooked at a low temperature (100 degrees Celsius/212 degree Fahrenheit) for 8 hours!!!
Seriously, those 8 hours of waiting are such a torture! If you often sit around at home while the food is slow cooking, you will know what I mean. The smell! It’s so tempting and painful at the same time. Lol
The recipe is super easy and simple as well.
Simply prepare the marinade by blending the sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor – marinate the ribs in the sauce for at least 4 hours (but ideally for 24 hrs if you want to make the meat fall easily from the bone) – cook the ribs in the oven for 8 hours. Voila! There you have it.
These baked Korean BBQ beef ribs are totally appropriate for special occasions such as Thanksgiving day, Christmas and New Year’s day. Or even a date night! You will be a popular host.
So try them soon and let me know what you thought of them!
Ingredients for Oven Baked Korean BBQ Beef Ribs
- 2kg (4.4 pounds) beef spare ribs, membrane removed
Marinade (Blend these together)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce (I used kikkoman soy sauce)
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine (mirin)
- 1 red apple or asian pear (230 g / 8.1 ounces)
- 1 onion (180 g / 6.3 ounces)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
*This marinade is the same marinade I use for Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef) recipe.
** 1 Tbsp = 15 ml, 1 Cup = 250 ml
How to Make Korean BBQ Beef Ribs in the Oven
1. Pour the marinade over the meat and make sure it’s reaching all parts of the meat. Cover the meat and transfer it to the fridge. Marinate the meat for at least 4 hrs (but ideally for 24 hrs for optimal results).
2. Preheat the oven on 100 C/ 212 F (on fan forced setting) for 20 mins. Lay down some waxed baking paper (or aluminium foil) on a baking sheet (or roasting pan). Then place the marinated rack of ribs. Splash some marinade around the ribs but discard most of sauce. Cook it for 8 hrs.
3. Take the meat out and carve. Serve.
As with a typical Korean BBQ, these baked beef ribs are great to serve with some steamed rice, kimchi, lettuce leaves, and Korean spicy dipping sauce. I also specially made some pickled radishes and carrots to go with it and it complimented these ribs very well!
- Typically the membrane is removed prior to cooking ribs and here’s how. If you don’t, there will be a rubbery part you will reluctantly chew through or discard during the meal.
Oven Baked Korean BBQ Beef Ribs
- 2 kg beef spare ribs , membrane removed
- Pour the marinade over the meat and make sure it’s reaching all parts of the meat. Cover the meat and transfer it to the fridge. Marinate the meat for at least 4 hrs (but ideally for 24 hrs for optimal results).
- Preheat the oven on 100 C/212 F (on fan forced setting) for 20 mins. Lay down some waxed baking paper (or aluminium foil) on a baking sheet (or roasting pan). Then place the marinated rack of ribs. Splash some marinade around the ribs but discard most of sauce. Cook it for 8 hrs.
- Take the meat out and carve. Serve.