Make some delicious Korean green onion salad! It’s a popular Korean BBQ side dish!
If you like Korean BBQ, you probably have seen this Korean spicy green onion salad before. It is the most well-known Korean BBQ companion salad. Its Korean name is Pajeori (파절이), meaning “seasoned green onion”.
I love having Pajeori with Korean pork belly (Samgyeopsal, 삼겹살) as it spices up the non-marinated meat very well. You can typically buy the pre-sliced green onion, looking like the below picture, from a Korean grocery store or maybe at a Korean butcher. They use a special machine called green onion roll slicer. The green onion comes out like spaghetti noodles. If you can’t buy the pre-sliced green onion, you have to thin slice it using your kitchen knife or a special tool like a green onion slice cutter. It can take 10 to 15 mins of slicing, depending on your knife skills.
I bought this cutter from a local Daiso store, specifically to make this salad. While there are a few drawbacks, it’s quite convenient to use. Though you need to be very careful when handling it. I found that the green side of green onion is easier to slice than the white side using this cutter.
One thing you should remember when you make this green onion salad is, you should mix the dressing with the green onion just before you’re about to eat. It wilts fast (within 3 to 5 mins). Nonetheless, it will be still delicious! I hope you enjoy my recipe. Your next Korean BBQ should be even more awesome!
P.S. Have too much green onions at hand? Then find out how to store them, so that they can last longer. (I mean like 5 to 6 weeks! & No planting is involved!)
Ingredients for Korean Green Onion Salad (3 to 4 servings)
- 190g (6.7 ounces) green onion, thinly sliced
- Dressing (mix these in a small bowl)
*1 Tbsp = 15ml
** If you want to learn more about Korean cooking ingredients, check my 30 essential Korean cooking ingredients list!.
How to Make Korean Green Onion Salad
1. Rinse thoroughly the thinly sliced green onion in running cold water for 2 to 3 mins. (This is to remove the slimy surface). Drain/Remove the excess water on the green onion. (I just shook the strainer over the sink a couple of times). 2. Mix the green onion with the dressing lightly but thoroughly. (You will want to wear a food handling glove). 3. Serve it on a plate.
Korean Spicy Green Onion Salad
- 190 g green onion (6.7 ounces), thinly sliced
- Rinse thoroughly the thinly sliced green onion in running cold water for 2 to 3 mins. (This is to remove the slimy surface). Drain/Remove the excess water on the green onion. (I just shook the strainer over the sink a couple of times).
- Mix the green onion with the dressing lightly but thoroughly. (You will want to wear a food handling glove).
- Serve it on a plate.